Old 01-13-2016, 01:39 PM   #49
alutian
alutian
alutian began at the beginning.

Device: Kindles...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaltonST View Post
@alutian:

Just for grins, temporarily reset the temp and tmp folders to the default settings. Keep the Calibre 64 version. Manually delete the Library Codes.zip file. Run Calibre 64. Manually load LC from the .zip file you manually downloaded. Restart Calibre. See what happens.

DaltonST
You beat me to it!!

Problem cured, but not problem solved.

I now have Library Codes up and running, more by luck than judgement. (History...) I have Windows 64bit set up normally on the C: drive. I also have drive A:, which is an 8GB RAM Drive, originally installed, ironically, for Calibre - it really speeds up the mamipulation of large libraries. (Calibre seems to be very 'safe' with files but at the cost of reading and writing an awful lot...)

Windows keeps its Temp folders on A: (saves wear and tear on the SSD C: drive).

No problem until Library Codes refused to play ball. I thought I might cure the problem by deleting the RAM Drive, but it made things worse - now Calibre failed to start:

Python function terminated unexpectedly [Error 3] The system cannot find the path specified: u'A:\\Temp\\calibre_ywrgmh' (Error Code: 1)

Only cure was to set the Windows Temp to the C: drive and uninstall and re-install Calibre. Now it works!

First thoughts: I have deleted an essential file in the A:\Temp folder, but it's a 'path' that cannot be found and... Caliber will start, with Library Codes working, if the Windows Temp directory is on the C: drive, even though the directory is empty. If you look in the Temp directory before Calibre starts, the 'path specified' does not exist. Something in Calibre (Library Codes?) writes to the Windows Temp directory, then reads from C:\Temp. Fine if the Temp directory is C:\Temp, but not if Windows Temp -> A:\Temp. It's not a RAM Drive problem as I can reproduce it by setting Windows Temp -> D:\Temp, D: being a standard HD.

That's my best guess at the problem!

Alutian
alutian is offline   Reply With Quote