View Single Post
Old 06-13-2013, 01:47 PM   #24
winsomnia
Groupie
winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: kobo Touch, kobo Aura
I've had my Kobo Touch for a few years now and I'm still running fw 1.9.17 because it suits me the best. It's not the best I can hope for; it's just the best that's available to me.

When I opted in to Kobo for my ereading experience, most of my reasons had to do with this company providing me (a Canadian) with what I was looking for. I didn't ask for a lot of bells and whistles, just a decent e-ink/epub reading experience.

Well, it seems to me that the route new firmware has taken, more often than not, is geared towards those consumers looking for the bells and whistles. In my simple reading experience, I don't need shelves, I don't want to deal with tweaking fonts. I just want a stable/consistent reading experience. That is why I have not bothered to upgrade since fw 1.9.17.

Let me tell you, it has been incredibly hard on my patience, wading through all the threads about new firmware and new bugs, trying to figure out if my time has come to revisit firmware updating. For at least two years now, I've been slogging through these threads hoping to find some firmware that doesn't mess with epubs too much. At this point, I've forgotten exactly what points I've been waiting to be addressed in firmware.

Nevertheless, I have continued to read (on fw 1.9.17) with my Kobo Touch and am quite happy. Am I jumping up and down and cheering "Go Kobo! Go!" Not really. But I don't feel cheated/ripped-off by the company. It is what it is, and I'm still using it, and I have no reason to jump to another company/device. That's all.
winsomnia is offline   Reply With Quote