View Single Post
Old 06-23-2010, 11:09 AM   #7
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by jflatto View Post
Is there any other software to easily enter the metadata of my ebooks or do I just bite the bullet and do this after the books are in Calibre?
During book import, metadata comes from:
  • Inside the file, if the book format supports it,
  • From the filename, if you have selected "Get metadata only from filename" and have a correct regular expression.
After book import, metadata comes from:
  • single metadata fetch of online metadata (you get to choose the best match), or
  • bulk metadata fetch (Calibre chooses the best match), or
  • manual entry.

For the bulk method to work, you need very good author and title data. I prefer to turn off the option that overwrites the author/title by default, as a bad match may change pretty good data to bad data. I prefer to keep "pretty good" author/title so I can try again later if I think the match is bad.

My preferred import method varies depending on the quality of internal metadata, but for bad internal data (common) or formats that have no internal metadata (txt), I first make sure that the author/title/series info is in the filename, then import with "Get metadata only from filename" and "automatic merge" on. Then I bulk fetch (with the author/title overwrite off).

Last edited by Starson17; 06-23-2010 at 11:13 AM.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote