View Single Post
Old 06-09-2009, 10:48 PM   #25
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee1234 View Post
I am still quite skeptical about this display technologies hitting the market at the price they are targeting, because adding a metal layer on the TFT array has never been proven to obtain a high yield rate. Even when Sharp or TMD were making a transflective display, the yield rate is quite low, so that means if the yield rate is low, then the price of the display will be expensive.

I hope I am wrong.
In the video they said that a netbook with this screen would rather cost $200 over this screen costing $200.
My estimation is that a netbook equipped with this screen will not cost more than $50, because the build material is very similar to LCD;in fact is the same but little optimized.
From a marketing perspective they are also not able to ask too much money for the technology, because the little battery life you gain over the many colors you lose will be a 'no' for many...

It will be a technology probably mainly aimed at netbooks,and low price laptops. So the price can't get too high. Also I thought they mentioned trying to get the technology to Africa first. Another clue that it will definitely not cost that much more, compared to a regular screen.
I heard they where trying to fuse the OLPC screen with their current technology or LCD screen (by using diagonal rows of dots instead of horizontal rows of long pixels like used on a TV).
That would yield yet another increase in resolution!
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote