View Single Post
Old 05-17-2013, 12:04 AM   #49
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
I see by some of the responses (hi, Wolfy) that I should have let my nit-picky chew on the descriptions a bit more. By "Modern", I really meant "within the standards of good ebooks", meaning sensible margins, indents, etc. I agree that most print books, including vintage scans, *have* large margins, deep indents, dozens of blank pages to force chapter starts on the recto (right-hand) page, and other detritus no longer used in well-done digital format.

Mostly the Modern choice was *intended* to put emphasis on modern punctuation and (sometimes) grammar/spelling. As opposed to treating antique punctuation and spelling as something graven in stone, which MUST be preserved in the new electronic production. I have seen too many changes to such in second and third editions of 19th-century books to believe in the "sacredness" of the typesetter's choices in the first edition.

Does this make anyone wish to change their mind and cast their vote for Modern?

Last edited by GrannyGrump; 05-17-2013 at 12:07 AM.
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote