Thread: Classy Calibre
View Single Post
Old 05-24-2012, 10:48 AM   #10
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigh. View Post
I installed the latest version of Calibre after reading all of the great reviews, and I've had nothing but trouble. It runs, no ran slow. Painfully, insufferably and uselessly slow. In fact, I can't do much past loading the main screen before the UI completely locked up my system. Well after ~5 hours, 2 re-installations (same and older, 'more stable' version...0.7.17), 5 forced restarts, 1 windows failing to start (never seen before)
What you describe has nothing to do with calibre and why you think a version of calibre 20 months out of date is "more stable" is a mystery.

Quote:
I've tried pretty much everything to try to get this working (disabling firewalls & antivirus, and every other 'fix' there has been to this problem)...But every time a user reports this problem, the developer swiftly dismisses it as a user-end problem.
There are literally millions of copies of calibre installed and calibre does not eat hard drives or destroy computers, so two or three dismissals seem appropriate to me.

Quote:
The program caused my CPU to run 100%, and ran my hard drive literally into the ground. After being fed up and putting my computer through hours of pain, for the 2nd and last time, I uninstalled and rebooted my computer. Except my computer would not boot to windows, or anything else for that matter.
If I were you I would troubleshoot my failing computer and not whine about some magical cause of its failure.

Quote:
If you're computer has an anti-virus program and shows the same symptoms of mine at the start - be very careful....Since this problem is known to Calibre, I'm not sure why they don't offer a warning or at least information to the user about it's lack of ability to deal with anti-virus programs.
This is not a know problem. Some folks find calibre slowed by anti-virus as their library gets bigger and are instructed not to actively scan the library. Others find that some conversions will seem to lock up their machine and are instructed to change job priority in calibre preferences from Normal to low to allow responsiveness during those conversions. But there are no problems with simply installing the program and certainly anyone experiencing problems as severe as yours has OS or hardware issues.

Quote:
This was the developer's rather unsurprising response (after reading similar blogs on this issue) to when I reported this bug...

It was my pleasure. I designed calibre specifically to destroy all your
data. In fact all these years I was just waiting for you to come along
and install calibre so that it destroyed all your data.

** Changed in: calibre
If your bug report was as uninformative and assuming as this post I'm surprised he was so obviously polite in his response. We don't always have the time or inclination to explain to the obviously over excited, ignorant individual why what they say has no basis in reality.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 05-24-2012 at 10:54 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote