View Single Post
Old 03-11-2012, 01:41 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandwich View Post
I'm not sure how to best word this; apologies if I'm unclear.

Is there a way to create a custom column that has an auto-complete function which would be populated on-the-fly from the existing values across the entire library of another column?

Perhaps an example would be best...

I have a file of an anthology book (Flatlander, by Larry Niven), which contains 5 short stories. I also have those 5 short stories as separate files.

I'd like a custom column for the anthology, "Contains", where I can select all of those individual short stories as part of the anthology. The behavior would be similar to how the "author" column auto-completes what you're typing based on the existing values across the entire Library - just in this case, it would provide suggestions from the "title" field.

So Flatlander's "Contains" field would have the values, "Death by Ecstasy, The Defenseless Dead, ARM, The Patchwork Girl, The Woman in Del Rey Crater".

Alternately, is there already some built-in way to manage anthologies that I'm utterly unaware of?
Simple answer: No. you would have to build a Tag type list manually

The current record has no knowledge of the contents of other records.
That applies to Titles, It applies to Authors It applies to every thing you see in a record.

Authors and tags are (inter)links to other tables and only appear related. That relation is only for the current record. Each additional record has to re-define the relation.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote