View Single Post
Old 02-10-2009, 08:10 PM   #7
NavyDad6
Reading is FUNdamental
NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 2
I hate to wade in on this subject since I have never owned a Kindle and have only just ordered the Kindle 2... but here goes.

I believe the underlying motivation for designing the K2 in its current configuration is to appeal to the widest possible group of consumers. They knew there would be "blowback" from the K1 users on the removal of the SD card and user accessible battery, but if they sell 2 million of these or more then they accomplished what they set out to do.... dominate the electronic book market and start the paradigm shift from paper to electronic when it comes to books.

To help soften the expected negative response they did put in a better battery that will hopefully NEVER have to be replaced. If this is the case then this is a non-issue. As for the storage capacity, it is more than enough for the AVERAGE consumer. Those power users will still be able to store material in excess of 1.4GB online at Amazon or on their PC's.

Amazon tried to strike a balance between the hardcore users and the potential customers they hope to gain with a sleeker design, better graphics, longer battery, greater storage and text-speech. This all coupled with Whispernet and access to Amazon's large E-book library makes it very attractive to new users... like me.

What is nice is that K1 users are not left out in the cold... you are fully supported, got a nice little upgrade where you can now zoom into pictures and will have more Kindle users which will drive more content to be available in Kindle format.

All of this will contribute to more research and development into the K3 where all of your dreams will come true!
NavyDad6 is offline   Reply With Quote