Thread: Glo Bad battery?
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2013, 06:00 PM   #72
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
Yay at getting a new one! But...

Oh my, 4 days!! That is horrible! You won't know until you've had a couple of full battery cycles though but still, doesn't look good

As for sideloaded epubs, see below.

I'm absolutely positive that battery drain can be caused by a data file. I tested myself, and I know that kepubs are read by loading a full chapter into cache to accommodate fast page turning. So the longer the chapter, the more has to be stored in cache and the more battery charge is used. I have found two badly formatted kepubs so far that had multiple chapters per chapter (so lots of missing chapter marks), causing a lot faster battery drain than expected, and Kobo acknowledged this and also gave me a refund for both books.
Sounds like customer service keeping the customer happy.

Really, these devices use memory chips to store the data in cache, and I am sure you can't power up half a memory chip. Sleep mode has to maintain the same amount of memory no matter what.
Quote:

The epub version of the kepub drained the battery a lot less fast, so apparently either the epub reader is more efficient or an entire chapter isn't loaded to cache for epubs; I don't know how it works. So VelvetElvis, no, I don't think it's "just" sideloaded epubs that have these battery issues.
Surely people having the reverse experience (i.e. blaming sideloaded epubs) shows something is wrong with the theory that it is caused by datafiles.
Quote:
(If you'd like to try it out with kepubs: "Absolute Power" by David Baldacci and "Raven Black" by Ann Cleeves both lack a lot of chapter marks in the kobo store.)

And the sleep/off difference: yes, of course you'll get longer battery life if you power off instead of sleeping. But 4 days of battery life in sleep mode is ridiculous. And, comparing with my Touch: it's been on constant sleep mode now for 9.5 days, with a book loaded, and its battery is at 74%. That gives an estimate of 30 days of life in sleep mode.
I have never left my Touch in constant sleep mode - too busy reading, so I can't compare, but I have never got 30 days out of it unless I power it down. I have it set to sleep, then power down, within an hour.

I have probably said my piece, about this now - so I will try to just read a see how it all pans out. It is an interesting thing - battery life...
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote