View Single Post
Old 02-23-2012, 05:53 AM   #83
plib
Guru
plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
If someone knows about WiFi security they have WPA2 protection already, and some may even have MAC access restrictions. If they don't know how to do it (and are running an unsecured network) then they are very unlikely to even think of that being the problem after receiving the first round of letters.
WPA2 is not foolproof , although it is harder to crack than the alternatives. Within reach of my router there are about 20 networks, three of which are still using WEP (which is a 60 second job to crack). I know for a fact that at least one of the WPA2 networks is still using the default manufacturer login/password. MAC access restrictions are useless, also a 60 second crack with the right software.

All this round and round about cars ( I thought no one would download a car anyway? ) would be more appropriate if the red light runner in question could claim any or all of:

- I left my keys in the ignition
- I left my keys on the hall table but the door unlocked
- There's been a rash of burglaries in the neighbourhood with no marks of forced entry
- Yale don't make a lock which someone can't forge a key to.

which would make it a lot more similar to hijacking a wi-fi router. I'm no hacker but based on what I know I could probably hijack at least 4 routers just on our street. Based on conversations there are a number of younger acquaintances who routinely use someone else's wi-fi, not necessarily for downloading but they could.

And that's not even getting to the subject of the thousands of bot-net infected computers that exist.

Last edited by plib; 02-23-2012 at 05:59 AM.
plib is offline   Reply With Quote