View Single Post
Old 07-31-2011, 12:01 PM   #209
therealjoeblow
Zealot
therealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Samsung Android Tablet w/Moon+ Pro Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrain View Post
This this this so much this. I'd feel dumb for not checking for this before I bought one, but... it's 2011! I really did not expect that a device meant to store hundreds of individually complete entertainment files would *not* have any kind of sorting scheme beyond favourite/not-favourite and alphabetical or file-last-accessed-(not-the-same-as-book-being-read), you know?

Given that at most you can show six books on a screen at once, I think it'd work fine if I only had fifteen books. I've got a hundred and five, on a device that bills itself as being able to carry a thousand, and I was expecting to have four to six hundred, loosely, by the end of the year.

I understand the "delete what you're not reading" theory. But if I'm going to restrict myself to a tiny handful of books, and sit down in front of my library at night and sift through it to see what book I want to take along tomorrow... I can do that with realbooks. Weigh a little more, but don't need to be nearly so careful with them.
+1

Can you imagine if Winamp was only able to sort your music files by alphabetical title? There's no way it would have become (arguably) the best and favorite music player on the PC of all time. Same goes for iPods and all other popular mp3 players...

At the very least, one should be able to sort by:

1) title
2) author*
3) series name*
4) book order within a series
4) genre/tags*
5) publishing date

...AND, preferably, within the ones marked with (*), be able to group by those too, and sort the groups by any of the other fields.

IMHO, the dev's should push this kind of functionality to the top of their priority list before adding any more bells and whistles, as this is basic core functionality that needs to be included in the device.

There's no way you can practically manage a library with hundreds of books (let alone thousands) without it. Again, think the ebook equivalent mp3 players, and what you would vs. wouldn't buy in that regard...

Cheers
The REAL Joe
therealjoeblow is offline   Reply With Quote