View Single Post
Old 09-10-2009, 11:37 AM   #3
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by corroonb View Post
If you're looking for a good factual history book, then you're looking in the wrong place. Gibbon is a good writer and enjoyable to read but he is very opinionated and he lacked a lot of the sources modern historians have access to. He's very much an 'early' historian. I've only read the first two volumes so I can't really comment on the overall quality of the work.

I have the 8-volume Folio Society edition which should be quite cheap on eBay as they used to give them out for free to new members who ordered 4 books.
Really?

I thought I read somewhere that he was the first historian to actually go back to original sources, and that as a result his work is the next best thing (to original sources--in contrast with earlier histories where people are reporting on people reporting what other people reported that yet other people said/did/saw).

Having said that, his opinionatedness does not surprise me... but is it really so bad as to negate the (supposed) value of the underlying research?

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote