View Single Post
Old 01-15-2013, 10:15 AM   #67
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sregener View Post
1. You absolutely stole the ebooks you purchased. Stripping DRM is illegal, as defined by the courts and copyright law. Now I hate DRM, but my power as a consumer is to not purchase things I don't like, or to purchase them because what I do like is better than what I don't. You don't suddenly own something because you've stolen it.

If you paid for a book, you haven't stolen anything by stripping the DRM. Even if it is ruled illegal, it's still not theft. If I strip DRM and don't distribute the book there's nothing that could be called theft. I have the book, the author has the money. If I have a book for one reader, and switch to a different device and strip the DRM, I have taken nothing away from the author. The author still has the money, and I have the book that I have paid for.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote