View Single Post
Old 01-15-2013, 07:42 AM   #64
Sregener
Addict
Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
1. I absolutely OWN the ebooks I purchase. I strip drm and reformat and copy them as I want for personal use. I hope/expect we will eventually lose the stupid drm but that remains for the future. Not a loss.

2. Stores and companies are tracking everything you do and by and browse and surf. Just because it's an ebook makes no difference. No change

Paper is really only a limited purpose content delivery mechanism as well. Before paper and mass printing we had messengers and wandering minstrels.
1. You absolutely stole the ebooks you purchased. Stripping DRM is illegal, as defined by the courts and copyright law. Now I hate DRM, but my power as a consumer is to not purchase things I don't like, or to purchase them because what I do like is better than what I don't. You don't suddenly own something because you've stolen it.

2. I can pay cash in a store, and they have no idea what I bought. Nor do they know what I browsed. Nor do they know if I read it or gave it to someone else, how long I took, etc. Amazon isn't the only one doing this. Search on Kobo's Reading Life.

And yes, paper is a limited technology. But it's one we know. We know the drawbacks and the benefits. It, too, took something away - our ability to remember. Before books, people could remember speeches word-for-word because they had to. I think it was a fair exchange, but it's important to recognize that every technology takes away as well as gives. Will eBooks be a fair exchange? Time will tell.
Sregener is offline   Reply With Quote