View Single Post
Old 12-17-2011, 07:03 PM   #22
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
My 2012 challenge - read a list of nominated books

My overall challenge for 2012 is to read 75 books. Although I exceeded 100 in 2011, it was at the cost of various diversions such as short stories and magazines, and a lot of radio shows. So I'm reducing the number to allow for these various peccadilloes.

Within the 75, I have named a number of books I want to read (for various reasons - see below), and on top of this I will be attempting to read at least 6 of the Mobileread Book Club challenges (including the Romance choice, just to force me to read from a genre wild horses would not normally drag me to, and the Classics, which are woefully missing from my named list). I also want to clear my bedside table draw of a few lingering dead tree books, which have been appended to my list below.

So in summary:
Read 6 from the MR Book Club choices (Achieved 6 of 6)
Read all of the 30 named books on my list (18 down, 12 to go)
Read 75 books in total (65 down, 10 to go)

11/22/63 - Stephen King (been listening to this since November 2011, and should finish it by the end of January, I hope). - Read
Black Rain - Masuji Ibuse (January 2012 MR Book Club choice). - Read
Transition - Iain M. Banks (first eBook I bought after acquiring my Kindle. Must get round to finally reading it).
Antigone - Sophocles (my first born was named after this Greek tragic heroine, so I ought to get round to reading the play). - Read.
Rain Fall - Barry Eisler (recommended by an MR member - can't remember who). - Read
Survival Of The Fittest - Jonathan Kellerman (I think I missed this one somehow, so need to catch up as I've read all the other Alex Delaware books). - Read
The New York Trilogy - Paul Auster (have wanted to read this for a while).
1Q84 (books I and II) - Haruki Murakami (2011 MR Book Choice that I haven't yet caught up on).
Shikasta - Doris Lessing (Desertblues has convinced me to give Lessing a try).
Rabbit, Run - John Updike (just feel like I should read an Updike, and the Rabbit series (#3) is in the 1001 must read books list).
In Cold Blood - Truman Capote (a classic of its genre). - Read
Heaven's Prisoners - James Lee Burke (will keep going with the Dave Robicheaux series, having started it in 2011).
Nightmare in Pink - John D. MacDonald (I enjoyed the first in the series, so will carry this on for a while and see where it goes).
Soft Target - Stephen Hunter (have read all the swagger books - no reason to stop now ) - Read
Swan Song - Robert R. McCammon (audiobook. I loved "Boys Life" and "Fevre Dream", and have promised myself that I would return to this author). Read/Listened to
The Five - Robert R. McCammon (audiobook). Read/Listened to
Blood Count - Robert Goddard (audiobook. I have read all of his books to date, apart from this one). - Read/listened to
Fool Moon - Jim Butcher (wasn't that impressed with the first in the Dresden series, but as people say it improves I'll give #2 & #3 a go, and then decide whether to complete the series). - Read
Grave Peril - Jim Butcher (I'll decide after this one whether to carry on with the series).
Neverwhere - Neil Gaiman (seems to be a popular choice with MR readers). - Read
Robert B. Parker's Lullaby - Ace Atkins (due for release in May 2012). - Read
The Cold Kiss - John Rector (recommended by an MR member - can't remember who).
Taken - Robert Crais (I'm a big fan of this series - due for release in January 2012). - Read
Terror's Reach - Tom Bale (apparently if you like the Jack Reacher books, you'll like this - suckered in by marketing once again). Read/Listened to
Artists in Crime - Ngaio Marsh (recommended by HarryT).
The Serialist - David Gordon (suggested by Dr. Drib).
The Book With No Name - Anonymous (DTB gift). - Read
Nine Dragons - Michael Connelly (DTB).
All the Pretty Horses - Cormac McCarthy (DTB which I've had for ever, and given my enjoyment of The Road and No Country for Old Men, one I really should read).
Viper - Michael Morley (my first eBook library loan - will have to bump it up the list to read within 21 days ) - Read

Last edited by orlok; 11-13-2012 at 12:38 PM.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote