View Single Post
Old 01-20-2018, 06:56 PM   #206
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
Yes, I remember this. It also crossed my mind that they might be on the menu in certain countries. But I hope Gregg isn't thinking of going down that plot road.
Agreed. I once had a really strong plot, for a novel...and had to nuke it, because it had an element of animal "murder" in it, and I just couldn't go there. But it was integral to everything--the motive, the murderer, everything. Sucks, but...there you are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Where did you get the idea that US cats are indoors only?
Certain breeds yes. Your ordinary cat can be indoors /outdoors or both.
My mom has indoor cats, outdoor cats, a few of outside cats have moved either next door or in one case down the street and other cats that go in and out as they please.
Right now, the kittens are indoors unless they are supervised. One ragdoll is the same way. She even has a leash.
Not my cats! When we lived closer to the city, we had two adult cats that were allowed outside in our yard, but that was it. NOW? Now, neither cat is allowed out, at all. Between rattlesnakes, Gilas and the Great Horned Owls that live "with" us (we have a massive roosting area right here; we have owls "hooting" away on our chimney flue nightly, but particularly on full moons), the other raptors in the area, the coyote pack that likes to take afternoon repose in the copse on our property, there is NO outside for our cats. We see this over and over here, "city people" move up here, and the next thing, there are endless "lost pet" posters up at the mailboxes, for small animals. It's heartbreaking--and COMPLETELY preventable, if they would get their heads out of their tucheses. The idea that "cats can take care of themselves" is responsible for a ton of animal neglect and outright cruelty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Well, maybe in Texas, but the only outdoor cats I know of are ones who are might occasionally be allowed out in a fenced yard, or ones who are feral or lost/abandoned. It's far too dangerous to let them roam.
^. See my note above.

Quote:
ETA: I also hate the distinction between "certain breeds" and "ordinary cats"--the life of an expensive purebred isn't worth any more than the life of the mixed-breed alley cat.
I agree. I don't think that Cin really meant it that way, though. Not in a status-y, snobby way. I think she just meant housepets/companion animals versus showcats, perhaps?

Hitch