Thread: Confused
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2010, 09:35 PM   #1
AndyfromVA
Zealot
AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook 1E, K3, K4, Paperwhite 2
Confused

This concept of an ereader is still pretty new to me and I admit to being thoroughly confused as to which one to buy.

I'm retired so I have plenty of time to read. I mostly read hardbacks from the public library because I'm too cheap to buy them and I don't care for the small print in paperbacks. An ereader would be very useful for me (and fun).

I saw a Nook at my local Barnes and Noble and played with it for awhile. The screen was sharp and very readable. But its operations in general were somewhat slow and laggy. My biggest problem with it was manipulating the touchscreen panel. After two half hour sessions trying to use the panel, I concluded that the Nook wasn't for me.

I have a couple of friends who love their Kindles but I never had the chance to explore one. I heard that Target has them so I suppose I could go there to try one out.

As I understand it the main advantage of a Kindle is access to Amazon's book collection, which includes many free and low priced books. I've been buying from Amazon for years and I'm well aware of their great selection and prices. But the big problem with the Kindle is, apparently, that you cannot access books from the library in the epub format that you can download to your PC and then store on your ereader. You can do this with the Nook and perhaps some other ereaders.

So my question is which ereader will best meet my needs. Here they are in order of importance.
1. Good looking screen - black print, white background (like the Nook).
2. Small (the size of a Nook is OK) and thin
3. Quick operation
4. Long battery life
5. Access to books from the public library
6. Access to a wide selection of free and low-priced books

Any help or advice you could give me would be great.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote