View Single Post
Old 04-22-2008, 04:43 PM   #20
maxfax
maxfax began at the beginning.

Device: none now
Many thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by soilwork View Post
More cases than you think, people consider not-yet-released product when they consider purchasing a product. For example, if a new CPU is announced, some people without urgent need for a computer can wait and see how it will perform. If the performance of a new CPU is not as expected, at least it will bring down the price of computers using an older generation CPU.

I agree that we are working on many assumptions. There are two possibilities.
1) touch screen does not allow comment
2) touch screen allows comment
Let's assume the worst 1). For someone with desperate need for commenting, Iliad is the way to go. Even then, for those who don't have urgent need for comment (for example, I never underline my books), they can a bigger screen at a cheaper price.
If case 2) is true, than waiting for the new product becomes even more attractive.

If it makes you happy, it is fine by me. However, I will not make such a tradeoff myself. BTW, whether the price of Astak/Netronix is exactly half of the Iliad is not the main point of my argument.
- It is cheaper by a significant margin, (whether it is half or not)
- It will offer a bigger screen (no doubt about this)
- It may/may not offer commenting feature. (Not very important for me)
- It may come out by the end of this year.
Given this expectation, I am willing to wait for Astak/Netronix rather than buying a Iliad.

I replied to this thread since someone with needs similar to mine may wait for future alternatives since it have a reasonable probability of hitting the market soon. Of course you need to buy Iliad right now if
- you need a best PDF viewer available on the market
- Need e-ink reader RIGHT NOW
- Commenting is essential

This is clearly a 'concept' device. I already commented on the thread as such. Clearly concept device is quite different from a product with working samples. True, both have uncertainties involved, but you seem to completely ignore the degree of uncertainty.
Many thanks for a such full answer.
I read about Astak/Netronix device before and thought about it.
I have hope on Iliads's price to go down when after astak device introduction.

IMHO if IREX made device bit cheaper or gave a student discounts it would help to sell more devices. For me as for postgrad this really very expensive.
maxfax is offline   Reply With Quote