View Single Post
Old 05-10-2011, 10:29 AM   #29
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
I'm not so convinced that the Amazon hardware will be anything news breaking in product development. But again, Amazon has already established the Android App market which they've been marketing with the free apps of the day, they have mp3 and video downloads available too, and then they have the Kindle books. Barnes and Noble is nowhere near being able to offer that much content and then you have the issue of the everyday user whose eyes will go glassy at the suggestion they root their nook colors. Most people want to turn on and use - not fiddle. The only other vendor right now offering that much is Apple with their line-up of iTouch/iPod/iPad.

Yes, a good portion of that is "me too." That doesn't mean it won't be profitable for them.
The ecosystem makes Amazon's position in the tablet world a little better. I'll admit that much. But I think it's a mistake to look at Amazon's App Store like it's serious competition to the Android Market (let alone Apple's App Store). It might end up being that, but the last time I checked Amazon's App Store, the pickings were kind of thin. Maybe not WebOS thin, but certainly not enough to keep one from wanting to root any tablet that only had Amazon App Store access.

And that's where I don't think the Amazon tablet is going to have much of an advantage over a Nook Color. I think a tablet user is going to end up wanting to root either one.

You're right that it could turn out to be profitable for them, but I think the odds are long.
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote