View Single Post
Old 03-03-2011, 11:39 AM   #39
hughes
Addict
hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Galaxy Nexus, iPad 1
subjective factors

Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
I'm wondering about this :

I mean, it pretty subjective... Some will find e-ink providing them a better experience, others will like lcd better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
2) If you take a look at a high PPI LCD display you'll see the text is actually crisper than on EInk. My Motorola Droid has noticeably sharper text than either my Nook Color or my Sony 505 with Vizplex - largely because it has 266 PPI while the other two are both in the 160-170 PPI range. However, even at the same PPI density, LCD is usually crisper. It doesn't have the power advantages, and is backlit, but it can be very good for reading text - just not good for all users to look at for long periods.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
I think some things are just too subjective. For example, with respect to reading experience, a large screen automatically gets rated as a better reading experience over a comparable smaller screen. This ignores the fact, that some people find it easier to read for long periods on the smaller lighter device.

It might be simply better if you rated things by screen sizes, screen technology, etc.

--
Bill
Thanks, Bill, Lemurion, and EowynCarter. I've gotten push-back from others too on the reading experience factor, particularly on its preference for E Ink over LCD screens. I've responded in part to "reading experience" objections, but let me go a bit further here...

On the one hand, I'd like to help those most in need of assistence in deciding which ereader to buy, and newcomers will not be well served by too much cold objectivity and no subjective guidance. Product finders that list a plethora of hard, cold product stats don't cut it when we're totally new to an area -- we don't know what we want. A well-reasoned, editorial stance, subjectivity and all, is needed and appreciated to focus the search.

On the other hand, most subjective aspects have valid counter arguments. As soon as a HowToDecide™ Quick Decide Guide™ takes a position that's disputable (and most positions beyond physical facts are disputable), there will be a contingent of users who do not agree with the position.

In the long term, I have in mind additional mechanisms for expressing subjective aspects in Quick Decide Guides™. They will help guide those who believe or trust or just wish to explore, and they will be ignorable by those who do not.

In the meantime, here's as close as I can think to get: I'll leave reading experience factor there for now, but I'll also add further objective factors such as weight and screen technology as independent factors. Any given factor can be used or ignored by users per their preference. Hopefully this will suffice until the new mechanisms are completed.

I appreciate hearing feedback, as always.