Thread: SciFi history?
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2010, 09:28 AM   #6
mike_bike_kite
Digitally confused
mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, K2i, Nexus 7 32gb, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Thom View Post
Why, on a long-term space odyssey it even could make sense to rather use recycled paper than an electronic reading device, which might be much more complicated and energy-consuming to recycle.
I can't see that:
  • There's the extra weight and volume of the books (at least 1000:1).
  • This means more fuel will be required by the ship.
  • Recycling paper results in approx 30% loss each time which means fresh paper will always be required.
  • A fully grown tree can be turned into 300 new paperback books.
  • But recycling needs machinery and a lot of energy.
  • If you like to read on white paper then you'll also have to factor in the use of bleaches.
  • But most of all I just can't picture the star ship enterprise with a large paper based library.
Assuming ereaders can be made unbreakable then the only ongoing cost is their electricity. The electronics should also be unbreakable, if they're not then it doesn't bode well for life aboard the spaceship.
mike_bike_kite is offline   Reply With Quote