View Single Post
Old 09-15-2018, 04:06 PM   #18
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobama View Post
And it so happens that I mostly do non-fiction, hardly ever fiction. I am highly sensitive to when the narrator does not understand what he is reading. Non-fiction is all about intellectual understanding, just like fiction is about emotional emphasis. Neither is simply about correct pronunciation. Too bad if the narrator misses the point in either case.
I love history and listen to history audiobooks frequently. I've almost never run across the phenomenon you cite, where the author didn't understand the material and couldn't convey it properly. More typically I find narrators who read with understanding and depth. They are out there and not very hard to find at that, although obviously individual tastes will differ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
I just can't get on with audiobooks. I don't think that I'm wired to appreciate auditory simulation. I've tried audiobooks, but I find my mind wandering and suddenly realise I just missed half a chapter.
I don't disagree that listening to audiobooks is something of a learned skill. At first I had to train my mind to come back when it started to wander, but it got easier and more automatic with practice. If you still want to give it a try, I'd suggest something light or perhaps something you've already read and enjoyed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
An example of a good narrator IMHO, who also happens to be the books author, is Bill Bryson. I loved his reading of his own book, "In a Sunburned Country". I want to go back someday and listen to his reading of "A Walk in the Woods". But since I've already read the book (wonderful!), and seen the movie (just OK), the audiobook is a bit down towards the end of my list. Probably I will read/listen to some of his other books before circling back to listen to Woods.
Golly, different strokes. I think Bryson is awful. Mostly I think authors do themselves a disservice when they do their own narration and Bryson is a case in point. Ugh, that prissy, affected, mid-Atlantic voice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Audio books don't stop with life's interruptions,
Well, they do if you listen with an app on a tethered phone or tablet. Just yank the cord. Then you don't have to look (say, if you're about to crash the car) or fiddle with controls.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote