View Single Post
Old 05-16-2019, 10:40 AM   #1
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
What are the downsides to enabling advanced for side loaded fonts?

Kobo's software has gotten better and better over the years, like giving us the ability to turn header and footer on and off for kepubs.

At this point, the only patches I use are to enable ligatures in kepub and the 'Freedom to Advanced Font Controls'

Now, I understand that perhaps enabling ligatures by default makes things slower, judging by the options of optimizing speed or legibility (though I do wish ligatures were the default. They make the page look better).

But what are the potential downsides to Kobo giving advanced font control to all fonts, out of the box? It's not like Kobo makes money off of the built-in fonts.

I guess you could argue some sort of stability issues due to poorly built fonts. But that seems like it would be a danger inherent in the sideloading, rather than something that only becomes a problem once you can make finer adjustments.

Are there reasons I'm not seeing for restricting advanced font controls?
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote