View Single Post
Old 03-19-2019, 01:53 PM   #26
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, iPad 9.7, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by rem736 View Post
i don't understand why ebook manufacturers don't just use the label system ala gmail for managing collections. you can think of a label as a category. and a label doesn't have to be limited to a single word. this is the most intuitive and elegant way to manage any file, not just ebooks. you attach as many labels as you want to a book. then just search for that label. the results should show the book(s) with that label along with all other labels that are attached to that book.

i don't use calibre that much, but i know it has a keyword area. is it possible to search by keywords once you have it in the ereader? if yes, this is one way to manage collections.
At least for Kobo and Kindle, collections do use a similar system (a book can be in multiple collections).

Caveat, neither support automatic collections/filters based on embedded subject/tags metadata—something that Moon+ and various other e-reader apps for Android and iOS do by default. And two, no support for nested collections (most apps don't support nesting either, I think).

Also, I don't think either allow searching for the collection. I do wonder how much CPU and RAM would be required for a more robust search ala-Calibre.

By the way, Gmail didn't support nested labels in the beginning as well. That was added later and implemented similar to Calibre's hierarchical tags using "/" as separator: Parent Label/Child Label
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote