View Single Post
Old 05-22-2009, 01:34 AM   #4
davlewis
davlewis began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Hi David,

Thanks for the information. If I may ask, do you find that you buy your ebooks from the Sony store using either a virtual PC on your Mac or a Windows PC, or Books on Board more than the Sony store (or both equally)? It appears that a Mac can directly purchase from Books on Board with no issue, correct?

If I understand correctly, any ebooks you have you have imported into Calibre and then you use that to manage getting the ebooks to your PRS-505 from your Mac, correct?

I just compared pricing between a Kindle 2 plus the Amazon leather cover (since the Kindle 2 does not include any cover) versus the current Costco pricing for the PRS-505 (with normal included cover) PLUS the AC adapter.

Kindle 2 plus leather cover = $388.99

Costco PRS-505 plus AC adapter = $269.99

$120 cheaper for the PRS-505. You could buy at least 8 books from the Sony ebook store (assuming a $14 cost for newer titles) with the difference. Or put another way, is the built in dictionary and search feature of the Kindle 2 worth $120? (I live in Seattle, WA so I will pay sales tax regardless of whether I buy the PRS-505 from Costco locally or order the Kindle 2 from Amazon, and in fact I'd pay more sales tax for the Kindle 2 given its higher price.)

If Calibre and purchasing ebooks directly from Books on Board make using the PRS-505 on the Mac relatively seamless, given the price savings over the Kindle 2 I sure am tempted to go with the Sony over the Kindle 2. The only apparent disadvantage to the Costco PRS-505 offer is that it appears that only the silver version is available for $269. I was leaning towards the dark blue, but for the price (including not only the standard Sony cover but the AC power supply as well) I can try to learn to like the silver version.

Thanks for any feedback you can provide.

Dave...
davlewis is offline   Reply With Quote