View Single Post
Old 06-13-2008, 01:24 AM   #151
Cobalty
Cobalty began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by macphersondh View Post
Why do we think Sony is obliged to give us anything for free? Sure if there is a fault then we have reason to expect Sony to release a fix to correct it - but we have no real reason to expect them to release software just to give us more functionality.
You're completely right. Sony doesn't owe us a thing. My argument is only that they wish to remain competitive in the market they should release an update. If their competitors were sitting on their hands, Sony could too. But they're not.

I suppose I'm spoiled not by gaming machines but by Apple. Each year we get an OS upgrade that makes our machines run faster (not free but no new hardware involved). And the iPhone is getting all sorts of new capabilities with firmware updates.

The devices we buy today are not cars, they are highly advanced multifunction gadgets that can do remarkable things and can improve without having to be rebuilt. Not to digress, but companies that release firmware updates that give new features are being good citizens; good citizens that don't force you to buy wasteful new hardware just to get new features.

If Sony would like to open source it's firmware and release the code, I'm sure several people here would be happy to do the work of creating an update for all of us. But that's about as likely as Bush getting a third term.

Cobalty is offline   Reply With Quote