View Single Post
Old 02-10-2013, 07:35 PM   #111
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
She's taken it off Smashwords (and become more reasonable in her pricing, I agree), so those who don't realize that Signet is a agency publisher might think this is one of their editions.

In point of fact, though, some of the self-pubbed stuff is better proofed than the commercial stuff I've read in recent years (paper or digital). I am re-reading a Laura Anne Gilman novel and one of the made-up composite words used throughout is mis-spelled (badly) now and then -- sure, you put the word in the ignore list of word when working on it, but why didn't they find the mangled version (which is unpronounceable and not a word in any language).

But, when an author is putting their work back out themselves, I expect some honesty about it, not to claim that the original publisher is responsible for the work (hmmm... maybe Penguin would like to know that she claims the rights belong to them, after all, so they can get their profits back from her)? Not only does it affect what I might be willing to pay (knowing the author is making a better percentage of the sale), it might affect whether I'd buy it, at all (I don't, necessarily, but many are avoiding Penguin and imprints)

Were this a print edition claiming to be from another publisher, it would be considered fraud (and bring a lawsuit for trademark violations, I suspect).

Putting the print history in the description, would be the perfect solution (just as you find it, or used to, in many print books).
Good Points. May McGoldrick is a husband and wife team, Nikoo and Jim McGoldrick . They should know better than put the wrong publisher in the box. These books were outrageously prices when they were just at Smashwords. I still think some are. $4.99 for a Avon True Romance book which is no bigger than a Harlequin is crazy.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote