View Single Post
Old 02-11-2013, 03:53 PM   #15615
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
I simply could NOT get past the first 100 pages of Whirlwind, and I had to force myself to keep reading Gai-jin, although it was a very accurate portrayal of the times. It just kept bogging down!

Not so with 'most' of the others in the Asian Trilogy, though 'Tai-pan' was not nearly up to the quality of 'Shogun' or 'Noble House.' Yet, it was still a good read, just somewhat shallow in comparison. 'King Rat,' on the other hand, keeps you riveted though each page, and the ending just smacks you upside the head! The same happens in 'Noble House,' but there are a so many 'sub-plots' going on in 'Noble House,' so you get that head slap a dozen different times!

I think that's going to have to be my next read. So many have recommended it.

Stitchawl
This discussion has made me start reading Shogun for the fourth time since 1975.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote