View Single Post
Old 12-05-2023, 07:42 AM   #9
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by RequisiteAngle View Post
All I want to do with this Kindle is to read with it…

I have considered making a throwaway Amazon account to register, and then keeping it offline, however, that would be a last resort.
The Kindles I've had do work when dergistered (no collection creation even locally). Only a Factory Reset triggered demand to log in. So you can try registering, sync, deregister, delete Amaazon account.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RequisiteAngle View Post
Is there any known method to modify the firmware in some way before entering setup? Or, was there an earlier version of the Scribe firmware that did not require registration, and maybe I could downgrade to that? Will the Kindle execute files I leave in the root directory? I understand that Kindle's OS is based on Linux, is there some way to enter the bootloader without going on into setup itself?
Not for the Scribe.
You don't have root directory access. The directory you see is a separate one (guarded by MTP anyway) and doesn't have the OS or database.

An unregistered Kindle has no Series info and no new Collections.

Also a current Kindle model (and most older FW) can't have Collections or Series managed by Calibre without a jailbreak.

You can't downgrade Kindle FW without a jailbreak.

I've had maybe 6 different models of Kindles in about the last 10 years. I still have 3 models. Only the DXG is jailbroken (which was nearly pointless). I gave away an Oasis gen 2, a Kindle Basic and a PW1.

The Kindle Scribe is the most restricted Kindle eink ever.

Either use it registered as Amazon has intended or send it back.

If you personally bought it of Amazon, then you already have an Amazon account. There used to be a way to register without giving Amazon an address or payment method. You got someone to send you a Amazon Gift card/token bought (ONLY) on USA Market place using a real email address you have. The buyer can have an Amazon account on any other Marketplace. Then you use that real email address, a new password (write it down) and the serial code of the gift token you got in an email. The Kindle registers and you have a new Amazon account in the USA. You can buy USA Kindle store ebooks by someone sending you the gift tokens.

However I suspect this no longer works. It would cost $10 to try it. If it did work, you can use up the $10 on ebooks, and see if the Kindle still works if you deregister on it, without it asking for a login. WiFi is needed to deregister (which used to be doable on web site but now only on Kindle).
An unregistered Kindle behaves like a blacklisted one. The only difference is you can never re-register a blacklisted kindle.
If you find that the Kindle immediately does the Setup/Registration screen after deregistering (a Scribe owner can confirm what happens) and feel brave, you could login again and then report the Scribe as lost/stolen to Amazon and it will be blacklisted. Though I don't know what happens to a blacklisted Scribe. Regular Kindles just have Sideloading only, no series and no collections if blacklisted. They even used to be sold with this limitation advertised.

Last edited by Quoth; 12-05-2023 at 07:45 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote