View Single Post
Old 01-02-2013, 10:47 AM   #27
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
You don't read a textbook like you would a novel. Take notes, develop your own examples to illustrate core principles and terminology. Reflect on the material, then reread. If you finish that book, read it again or pick up a different book and compare/contrast the approaches. Be active in reading, if you're not thinking about the ideas the entire time, you're not learning effectively.

Since my background is in physics I'll use that as an example. In a Physics textbook, I would derive the equations in the text, I would solve the examples myself and check them, and I would solve the problems at the end of the chapter and check their answers when I could. I would explore what ifs? where I broke an assumption necessary for an equation or a principle to see what would happen. As a teacher, my top students always study by solving extra problems, the mediocre students simply passively read their notes or the book.

Now you might not have problems to solve for your textbook, but you always can explore topics that still require you to apply and synthesize the ideas presented in the book. They key is always active reading.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote