View Single Post
Old 03-03-2018, 12:53 PM   #28
arjaybe
Wizard
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
I avoid distraction by not turning on any distracting devices until I've finished my daily writing. I write first thing in the morning by hand (fountain pens - yay!) I transcribe it into the computer a couple of chapters at a time - also first thing in the morning, before my daily internet sweep. I find that the strictures give it some structure, and it's easier to fulfill my commitments to the work.

I know my propensities, and I've learned how to manage them. I exploit my pride, for instance, to keep me from letting myself down. It helps to keep me to the routine.

I've never got in the habit of carrying a notebook, so I've never been tempted to try to replicate one with a device. I do my writing at home, so I don't need a coffee shop device, just my pens and a lot of paper. I suspect that if I did start writing in a coffee shop, it would be by hand.

If you're not suited to writing with pen and paper, then you shouldn't waste time trying to force it. Find a device that works for you and get to work. There's a lot to be said for simplicity.
arjaybe is offline   Reply With Quote