View Single Post
Old 01-20-2016, 08:45 PM   #28
cyanic
File format tinkerer
cyanic has read War And Peace ... all of itcyanic has read War And Peace ... all of itcyanic has read War And Peace ... all of itcyanic has read War And Peace ... all of itcyanic has read War And Peace ... all of itcyanic has read War And Peace ... all of itcyanic has read War And Peace ... all of itcyanic has read War And Peace ... all of itcyanic has read War And Peace ... all of itcyanic has read War And Peace ... all of itcyanic has read War And Peace ... all of it

Device: PC
Alright, so I finally got a chance to look at VitalSource stuff again, since I needed some books this semester. All I'll say is they've changed some things, and while it's a nuisance, nothing too difficult.

I'm not going to be updating or releasing any tools for Bookshelf, since I don't want to make it harder for others who may be working on the format, with VitalSource patching holes. I will also not be providing support for the existing tools over the forums aside from "read the instructions", because you know the rules. The tools are quite easy and straightforward to use, as long as you can follow the instructions and have vulnerable versions of Bookshelf. However, do expect that VitalSource will be overhauling everything to make them obsolete. They've been doing a lot recently, completing their merger with CourseSmart and bringing a much nicer looking online reading interface, along with cracking down on insecurities in their programs that they somehow didn't anticipate would cause problems before I came along. I wouldn't be surprised if they completely discontinue the older VBK versions once Vista support comes to an end and they can drop support for the old version of Bookshelf (if they're desperate, they might even go back and update that version). Don't forget, they've been preparing for the updated version of the format with "enhanced security" for a number of months now.
cyanic is offline   Reply With Quote