View Single Post
Old 08-17-2008, 05:12 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Hi Mark,

I have a version from the 1960s, but I don't think it's changed very much since them.

I like the fact that it is "descriptive" than "prescriptive". The English language is a living entity, and looking at the way that it actually is used can only be a good thing, I think.

One of my "pet hates" are people who insist on using the artificial monstrosities of "fake grammar" invented by Victorian grammarians who tried (fruitlessly) to force English into the mould of Latin grammar, and told us that we should say "It is I" rather than "It is me", for example . English is not Latin, and it's perfectly OK that English should do some things differently to Latin. I wonder if French has people who believe that one should say "c'est je" rather than "c'est moi"?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote