View Single Post
Old 07-13-2017, 04:26 PM   #6
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
To pursue this problem a bit more I fed a collection of EPUBs that I keep for testing through the kfxgen app of Previewer 3 and checked the output for the same type of font problem. I found two books that exhibit the same error. One uses the first-line selector, but the other doesn't so the actual trigger for this problem is still not clear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcsalomon View Post
BTW, how were you able to examine the KFX file?
I have been looking into the workings of KFX since it first appeared and have some hacked together tools for examining content, nothing in a state to be shared at the moment.

A little detail on what is going wrong:

During conversion to KFX a prefix is added to the names of any fonts embedded in the book. Each book gets a different prefix. (I don't know why, possibly to keep embedded fonts separate from system fonts.) The same prefix is added to the font definition and to each reference to it within the book. Fonts that are called out in the book, but not embedded, do not get a prefix added.

In the case of your book the prefix is added to the font definition and to most references, but some references are left unprefixed and so end up calling for a non-existent font.

Last edited by jhowell; 07-13-2017 at 04:45 PM.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote