View Single Post
Old 11-27-2018, 08:14 AM   #1
kalin
kalin began at the beginning.

Device: searching...
Question PDF Annotation + Amazon Books + Library Borrowing + ...

Hello fellow members,

I have been buried under an ever-growing pile of research papers and printed books (nice fat 500 page books) for the past two years. Printing PDF research papers and using the pencil/highlighter is nice, except when you need to find things, fast, and start digging...

So, I am in search of a good tool to structure my madness, that should address the following needs:

- 300 dpi (must for all things small + charts)
- eInk (battery life + eye strain/readability)
- ability to read, highlight + annotate/scribble on PDFs + subsequent search and sharing.
- Pocket app integration (lots of what I catch on mobile I read on bigger screens later)
- App Store (agnostic on Apple vs Android, as long as it works). E.g. I would like a podcast app added. No fancy requirements...
- ability to purchase books (agnostic to store: amazon, kobo, other)
- ability to borrow books from public libraries (agnostic to how)

So far, the closest I have found is the Sony Digital Paper 10'' sold by GoodeReader (rooted, at a hefty markup) but I am concerned over two things: 1) sideloaded Play Store not officially supported by neither Sony nor Google, essentially question of time to be shut down and 2) no connectivity into any ebook store (kobo/amazon/other), plugging USB-cables into a desktop app to drag-n-drop files is like 2005 For a 599.- device, absurd.

The Onyx Monte Christo 4 looks sharp and ahead of the curve but no exposure to any ecosystem/book store.

The Kobo Aura is nice but read mixed reviews on PDF annotation...

Thank you for helping me on this one!!!
kalin is offline   Reply With Quote