View Single Post
Old 01-28-2013, 02:15 AM   #1
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Stop Calibre from scanning a device before it can be configured?

So, for the time being I'm just using Calibre Companion for Android and keeping my devices the hell away from a direct connection to Calibre, but is there a preference anywhere to turn off the behavior where Calibre automatically scans a newly connected device before it can be configured? I'm trying to let Calibre manage multiple Android devices with a variety of media already in place, but when I connect a device for the first time Calibre spends upwards of twenty minutes scanning gigs and gigs of files I don't want it to manage in the first place. The job cannot be stopped short of disconnecting the device and crashing Calibre, which may be cathartic but still leaves me with effectively a twenty minute startup time next time the device is connected before I can start telling Calibre what I actually want it to do.

I've looked in the Preferences, but there was no obvious category to try to turn off that setting and nothing in the non-obvious categories that looked likely. For the time being I will treat Calibre like the hungry-eyed forty-something at the bar and only connect my Android devices via Calibre Companion, but it seems like this would be a basic setting that should have been addressed by now.

The corollary concern is that I'm thinking Calibre will not recognize a device that was previously connected wirelessly if I then connect it via USB, meaning that it will scan those gigs and gigs along with the content I actually want it to manage which it will not realize it is already managing.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote