View Single Post
Old 11-28-2021, 03:11 PM   #1
orcabloom
orcabloom began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Post How to keep notes when converting between formats?

Let's say I have a mobi file, and I make some highlights on it while reading on my kindle paperwhite. Then I decide I want to convert this book to a different format (for example, AZW3) and I want to keep all my notes/highlights so that they show up when I'm reading this book in its new format on my kindle. Is there a way to do this?

It didn't work very well when I tried a test. The highlights and notes existed on the kindle with the new format, but they weren't visible in the text; I could only view them in the "Notes" menu, and even there they weren't at the proper locations (they all believed themselves to be at the same location at the beginning of the book).

When I did this test I plugged my kindle into my computer, navigated to the kindle drive > documents folder > author of the book in question, and then I deleted the mobi file from this folder and replaced it with the AZW3 file of the same book. I made sure not to touch any of the "sidecar" files that accompany the book file and which I believe contain metadata. I did notice that these files had exactly the same names and file extensions before and after the conversion. (I did the format conversion using Calibre in case that makes any difference.)

If anyone has insight on whether this problem can be overcome, it would be appreciated.
orcabloom is offline   Reply With Quote