Thread: Sad Sigil news?
View Single Post
Old 09-19-2013, 09:16 PM   #60
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
That is exactly the problem, and many companies (even IT ones) don't seem to understand. When looking for jobs, it often went similar to this:

"So, you have C++ / PHP / C#... experience?"
- "Yes, but I've been mainly writing code for micro-controllers, in pure C for the last 2 years. I haven't touched PHP or any of the frameworks for at least that long."
"OK, we'd like you to do a little test, in PHP."
*point*
"There's a computer, and an assignment describing a function we would like you to implement in our <insert huge on-line administrative package here>, within 2 hours."

Dude. That's not going to work, and YOU FRACKING KNOW IT.

No wonder all those IT companies can't find any engineers. Many of them expect you to sit down and write code, as if it is the same as boxing and wrapping toothbrushes in a factory.

It's the same with those who'd like "An all-round IT-expert": you know, the people that know PHP, Python and Perl for their CMS, C++ for a few old desktop applications, C# for some newer applications, Bash scripting in Linux to manage our Linux servers, and oh... you must be able to also manage Windows servers and Oracle databases on the side.

Believe me, I've seen those kinds of job offers. Often.

You won't find someone who can do all that this at once at a professional level.

Oh, and with regard to tech support: you're quite right. I've enough experience with it. I want *this* feature to be on any new computer, to be remotely controllable ->
You left out being about to read COBOL....
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote