View Single Post
Old 08-05-2022, 08:26 PM   #1
elaysee
Groupie
elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook, Kobo, Kindle, iPad
What are these weird books at Kobo US?

Considered putting this in the Kobo section, but it's more of a general bemusement about some content, and I thought others might also find it interesting.

There's a large block of odd titles one can find at Kobo US as "newly added," among other ways it pops up. Here's one typical example, and you'll see many similar titles are related to it. The titles often include a four-digit number, the prices are generally $9.99 or $19.99, the covers often have a picture of a person with no apparent relevance to anything, and the synopses read like bad machine translation:

Quote:
Phong supervisor bathed, at that point poured two glasses of merlot. Checking out the clock, it was actually 10 o'clock in the evening, so I made a decision to talk and go along with my spouse, so I could rest properly. Of course, a little conversation on the event of sleeping together is actually much better! The cool boss won't acknowledge his ultimate objective, even if he really did not perform everything, it is actually great to hug his parents and also turn in, you men will not recognize!
That recognizes that when opening the door of the room, the mommy and kid are nowhere to be located.
Darn! Phong manager was actually therefore worried that he wouldn't have only been kissed as well as operated back to his mommy's house, must possess been eliminated by invaders? Phong supervisor set down the white wine glass, the whole person revealed extremely low IQ!
I can think of several possible explanations - a "publish in the English-language market" scam? Some type of laundering activity? Doing actual "AI" text-generation dumps for the odd bit of profit? - but I was wondering if anyone had seen this before and had concrete knowledge. These kind of look like really really bad light novel translations, but the one-book-per-author with surely-fake Western names doesn't fit with that.

If there's a prior discussion I missed, please link to it - I was at a loss what to search on beyond "Kobo" and "weird."
elaysee is offline   Reply With Quote