View Single Post
Old 09-02-2021, 02:38 PM   #36
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
This article summarizes eReader sales (citing Statistica and Pew research):

https://justpublishingadvice.com/the...a-rapid-death/

Citing number of posts on Reddit as ‘evidence’ is anecdotal as best. That’s a self selecting group and in no way statistically significant. People go there to discuss things they are interested in with people sharing those same interests. Just like here.

Another line of evidence is decline in number of books read in the general population. I think Pew also has surveys for that.
It's true that Reddit is anecdotal and self selecting and that larger phones mean CASUAL readers read ebooks on phones. Also more than 1/2 of ebook readers use a phone or tablet.

But the big differences from 2009 are 167 dpi to 300 dpi. The frontlight is good. Touch is good. Audio is near irrelevant it you want to read.

The 167 dpi to 300 dpi (or 167 to 260 approx) is a huge difference on 6" to 10" ereaders.

Any phone does audio (music or audio books) better than any ereader. I have KK3 and DXG with 3.5mm audio sockets. It costs €6 to add USB audio to a PW3 (I 've tested it) and my son has a PW4 (BT Audio) and my Mars has audio jack and BT audio. I don't use audio on any of my ereaders. Hardly anyone uses an eInk for music or audio books, they use a phone and an App. Even a €20 feature phone does audio with a better GUI than an ereader and is more convenient.

The article is very poor and about five years out of date. Also does Amazon even release stats on real Kindle sales, vs app vs Fire (a tablet with an App)?

The cost is an issue. A decent 6" phone is about €100. A decent ereader is €150 to €220.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote