View Single Post
Old 09-12-2014, 11:54 AM   #6
crt
Enthusiast
crt is a glorious beacon of lightcrt is a glorious beacon of lightcrt is a glorious beacon of lightcrt is a glorious beacon of lightcrt is a glorious beacon of lightcrt is a glorious beacon of lightcrt is a glorious beacon of lightcrt is a glorious beacon of lightcrt is a glorious beacon of lightcrt is a glorious beacon of lightcrt is a glorious beacon of light

Device: kindle keyboard, PocketBook Pro 912 (black), T62D with Gonyx
Hi. It can. Since you ask it to reflow a PDF (scanned text), it does so probably by assuming that each dark part is the image of a set of characters. When you 'increase' the size of the 'characters' displayed, it obviously increases the size of the image of the strings displayed, 'cutting' a line into more pieces (each corresponding to a line displayed).
Of course, this is not perfect, and occasionally it fails (parts of one line are next to a part of another line). Also tables and other Figures or mathematics formulas almost always fail to be properly displayed. But pure text is mostly fine.
I have read plenty of such PDF (scanned text) books, among which a dozen of Verne's books translated into my native language, using Duokan on the Kindle keyboard.
I checked one with my android smartphone (using Duokan) and it worked, too. Pity that Duokan has now been taken over by a Chinese company and all purely free e-reading development seems to have ceased...
crt is offline   Reply With Quote