View Single Post
Old 08-11-2017, 01:23 AM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJC-Caron View Post

With the most recent Kobo firmware update, I cannot download files such as epubs, pdfs, etc. using the built in web browser. I have tried files from Project Gutenberg and Archive of Our Own and while I get the "Would you like to download this file" box, nothing happens once I select "OK". This occurs with both large and small files (fanfiction novels that are 200+ chapters, illustrated e-books, >1000 word short stories and oneshots, etc.).
Downloading books from web sites is broken in firmware 4.5.9587 when the URL for the book has the filename in it. If the URL does not have the file name, but there is a "Content-Disposition" header, the download will work. The only site I know of that does the latter is GMail for it's attachments. Or earlier calibre v3 betas (which I do not recommend except as an experiment).
Quote:
Is an update coming soon that'll fix this issue and/or has anyone discovered an effective work-around? Thanks.
The next firmware will probably contain a fix for this. But until Kobo actually releases it, we will not know what is in it. In the meantime, if downloading from websites is an important use for you, then I recommend downgrading to 4.4.9344. This worked to download books for all sites I tried including Project Gutenberg. It does not work for Dropbox. I suspect, but have not tested, that it won't work for the GMail attachments mentioned above. Or other sites that only use the Content-Disposition header.

I don't know when to expect the next release. My only expectation (also known as a "wild ass guess") is not this month.

Last edited by davidfor; 08-11-2017 at 03:56 AM.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote