Thread: Summer Reading
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2010, 04:33 PM   #1
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Summer Reading

I've been after my 3 daughters for a long time to read some of the books I've loved. They are all pretty good readers but haven't been thrilled to read one of "dad's books". But I put my foot down and this summer they ARE going to read a book I've selected. After a little tussle, they are into the books and enjoying them.

For my 15yr old: John Adam's by McCullough. It's a big intimidating book, and a history book at that. My daughter hates history, she thinks. I'm confident that she'll love it once she goes through this book with me. After some tears and drama -- we're reading the book together. She reads it, and I chime in to define words and point out important stuff.

Thing is -- we enjoy doing this when we watch tv together. It started with Joan of Arcadia. We'd watch it together and hit pause all the time and talk about the themes in the show. She's very bright and really thinks as she watches. We're not recreating that experience, only with a book. And, surprise surprise, she is enjoying it. It would have been too much for her to just read, but going through it together has been great.

For my 13yr old: The Screwtape Letters by C. S. Lewis. A senior demon tutors a jr. demon in the art of steering folks to hell. It's a classic and my other two daughters are jealous that they didn't get that book.

For my 11yr old: Seventh Son by Orson Scott Card. It's the first book in the Alvin Maker series. A folksy fantasy set in a fictional Appalachian America around the time of Abraham Lincoln. Instead of witches with spells and wands -- these hill people have "knacks" and "hexes". It's a great story with the battle between good and evil. She's really enjoying this book now that she's reading it. On her own she decided to take notes. So after she's read awhile, we discuss the questions she writes in her notes.

It's going to be a terrific summer!

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote