View Single Post
Old 11-15-2021, 11:39 AM   #11
Chiron scriba
Bücherwurm
Chiron scriba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chiron scriba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chiron scriba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chiron scriba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chiron scriba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chiron scriba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chiron scriba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chiron scriba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chiron scriba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chiron scriba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chiron scriba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastEriq View Post
Webster 1913, Oxford advanced Learner 8th ed., Gnu Collaborative international and Online Etimology Douglas Harper are all over the place. You need better than them? .dic for the stock reader or stardict for koreader?
Thanks EastEriq, but I'm afraid that it depends on what you mean by "all over the place": if the place is my gadget, all I can find in there is something they call "Webster 1913", but I'm afraid it's an expunged version of the very first edition for the primary school. And since 1913 the meanings of the words had over a century, two world wars and an impressive techno-sociological jump to drift away from their original significance.

What I'm looking for is something serious I can download once at a reasonable price and install in my reader. I already have a (measly short, actually) list of dependable on-line dictionaries I access over VPN from my overprotected computer, but I'd never go online with a device I know very little about: having someone reading over my shoulder would make me nervous, and having Google & Co. selling my 'preferences' (misinterpreted by their AI) to the highest bidder would make me pretty uncomfortable.

A little cantankerous? Perhaps... but I come from a remote past when 'privacy' and 'professionalism' still had some meaning
Chiron scriba is offline   Reply With Quote