View Single Post
Old 03-13-2021, 09:27 AM   #8
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I’m struggling with this and I thought it would be easy. In part, it’s the ebook issue. Another that has stayed with me is 1939 The Lost World of the Fair by David Gelernter, but no joy on the ebook front.

So, what’s left? I can mildly recommend the recent prize-winning Golden Hill by Francis Spufford, set pre-Revolution. The New York aspects are excellent, but the story is less so, IMO. I very much liked Let the Great World Spin by Colum McCann, winner of the National Book Award, but it might not be set long ago enough to qualify as historical for you. It’s mostly about the day of Philippe Petit’s amazing feat, but even a tangential WTC book might be upsetting. In any case you’re probably aware of both of these.

I know you’re no fan of fantasy, but the historical New York aspect of Jack Finney’s two time-travel novels, From Time to Time and Time and Again is fascinating. Both books are quick reads and the fantasy isn’t the mists and magical creatures kind.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote