View Single Post
Old 07-16-2010, 05:53 PM   #8
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by mscott161 View Post
As much as I like Calibre i would rather not have to install and convert my books. i would rather just copy them to the device to read no processing of the files. Most consumers are not going to know what to do with the conversions.
I would buy such a program exactly because of that.

Many MR readers seem to use Calibre, strip DRM, etc. You probably would be able to sell to less technically oriented people or people who find converting inconvenient. It would be hard to gauge that market, because those people probably are less likely to be on forums, etc. You could write a great app and find it hard to get word to the people who'd actually want it. Not saying you couldn't reach people, but it might be more difficult.

I'm not technically inclined and I had to find Calibre help by asking users. If I had to pay for it upfront, I wouldn't have tried it at all. I appreciate the work that went into it and later donated, but it would've been a hard sell otherwise for someone like me. Assuming you build a great app, your best bet is to give away many copies to the right demographic and get word-of-mouth. You'd also need to do a lot of beta testing, because your target market probably would be less willing or able to deal with inconveniences and tech problems. (You are essentially selling convenience, after all.)
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote