Thread: Library books
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2010, 10:50 AM   #26
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Kobo Glo HD, nook ST with Glo (backup)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
The Toronto Public Library uses the Overdrive system which means I can't use a Kindle 2. It's one reason I am toying with buying a Kobo when it's released next month.

But the selection is so slight ... I am biting my tongue not to type something vitriolic.

Libraries -- and certainly this was the Carnegie vision -- are intended to be knowledge portals where accessibility is a fundamental principle. Why on earth do not major libraries have "e-book librarians" who are curating a growing collection of titles for patrons to select from? Why isn't there a "manybooks.net" department finding the best of public domain and showcasing it "on e-shelves" for patrons to browse and borrow?

I'm astounded to discover that "e-books" is lumped in with audio books and mp3 files for borrowing once I enter the Overdrive world. I'd expect to be able to read a copy of "The Murder of Roger Ackroyd" and, in fact, I cant: but I can listen to it. How nuts is that?
Carnegie also uses Overdrive. Libraries have to pay for an additional license to allow downloads by members. But I know most libraries including Carnegie are having budget issues, so I doubt an e-license is high on their list of priorities.
Rich_D is offline   Reply With Quote