View Single Post
Old 12-01-2006, 02:27 PM   #5
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ath
I believe it's best to use 'real' sizes, as that corresponds closest to what letters actually will look like. Scaling makes pages look somewhat like early WYSIWYG samples -- fonts should not scale linearly, but optically.

Width = 29.1 pc, height = 35.4 pc seems to be fairly close.

But you don't really want to do iLiad and Sony formatting separately -- at least not if you are looking for quality results. You only get two books to proofread for bad hyphenations, widows, etc. I suspect it would be better to find a mean page size, and use that for both formats. (Better, that is, in the sense of least wasteful of time in proofing.)

After looking over the Doyle title:

You really want to keep page sizes down to something much closer to pocket book size. A4 is impossible to read, even if printed, if you let the page size dictate the line length. Even A5 can be pretty bad.

And try to avoid Type 3 fonts -- they contain no hinting, and are generally rather useless in low resolution. (I even suspect some T3 typefaces to be bitmapped fonts, barely covered by PostScript format -- and they work even worse.)
I expected the A4 to be pretty much useless on a portable reader that's why I asked which size would be the best suited for the iLiad.
The main problem with having a single size for both the Sony Reader and iRex iLiad, is that I'm not sure it is really possible to make something good looking for BOTH at the same time. The Sony Reader has quite a few problems with scaling and margins when you zoom in, using a PDF file. All the books are generated online so I can easily generate different sizes and put them in cache (less things to generate), yet still offer to generate custom PDF for those who need something different.

I'll change a few things within my templates and post a version sized to what Yokos indicated, and using Bookman instead of T1, we'll see if it's get better...

Edit: First test, room for few or many improvements ?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Doyle - The Hound of the Baskervilles.pdf (621.9 KB, 943 views)

Last edited by Hadrien; 12-01-2006 at 02:47 PM.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote