View Single Post
Old 08-08-2008, 05:05 AM   #60
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hansl View Post
Well, Sony for sure is well aware that they did sell a lot of PRS-500s to outside the US.
I'm afraid you are mistaken. Sony never sold a single PRS500 outside the U.S. All the extra-U.S. 500s were sold by third parties, either individuals, or retailers. I'm given to understand that Sony is a bit perturbed with those retailers for their international sales, actually. You are correct in that Sony knows that there are a lot of 500s outside the U.S. (they couldn't help but be, since the follow MR!), but as I said earlier, they were bought outside official channels. The distribution agreements I mentioned above mean that they can't recognize those units in any case: they're disavowed.
Quote:
Not to speak of the 10000 pages fairy tale or the undocumented stand-by mode which cannot be turned off.
It was 7,500 pages, and they probably did manage that under a specific, unlikely set of circumstances -- it's Marketing. Sure, it's annoying, and borderline deception, but it's also not any secret. If you plan to avoid every company that uses it, you're not going to be buying very much at all.
Quote:
BTW any green soul around here who cares about the extra electronic waste?
Heh, somehow I find I'm not too bothered by electrical waste that causes a dinky 1,800 mAh battery to take more than three weeks to run down. I have 2,500 mAh AA rechargeables that run down in less time than that just sitting on a shelf!

You have to decide what's best for you to do with early adoption. It's always a bit painful on the 'Bleeding Edge' and if you don't want to ride it, no one would blame you for it in the slightest.