View Single Post
Old 11-04-2012, 10:59 AM   #20
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
That's actually a splendid idea. Unfortunately I know of no such books myself. After I saw your post I posted a request for any such suggestions on the Facebook page of a friend. After he retired he joined the Peace Corp and spent a year in Kazakhstan. Since returning here he has regularly taken in exchange students from countries that were formerly part of the Soviet Union. I don't know that he reads that much, but maybe he will be able to suggest something, or one of his many Facebook friends from that area of the world may do so. Not that there's anything wrong with doorstoppers by Nobel Prize winning Russian authors.
Great idea and many thanks for trying; seems as if it's bearing out what the rest of us have also been discovering, that there's a dearth of non-Russian books in English. I found a few others from the Baltic states, but Purge was the only ebook I stumbled on and it's affordable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
Second that, also because there is a sense in which for these classic the comparative advantage of discussing them in the book club are lower (because of so much written on them) than for less known stuff. The problem is finding English translations (let alone ebook versions). I came across this article in the Guardian, but could not find much. I am not giving up just yet though...

EDIT: I'll nominate The Silent Steppe:

(from here)

Available as pbook only, I am afraid, and not cheap, e.g. here: wasn't quite sure whether this is too much, but I guess "secondments" will tell!
Thanks, Paola. That says it for me, too.

I'll second The Silent Steppe. Here in the US, libraries that borrow from WorldCat shouldn't have a problem obtaining a copy.

ETA: That would be a third for Silent Steppe. I was typing as sun surfer was posting.

Last edited by issybird; 11-04-2012 at 11:11 AM.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote